The Sipiro is a new, secure reader equipped with a pin-pad and a display which, when connected via USB, can be used as a reader for the electronic identity card.
The device was developed to offer a solution for the increasing number of malware apps, which try to ‘steal’ an ID card’s pincode (phishing). Thus, with the Sipiro, the pincode is entered via the reader and not via the PC keyboard, which means the pincode does not leave the reader and it will not become the prey of malware and spyware from the PC.
In addition to the usual eID functionalities, the Sipiro can also be used for other processes, such as generating passwords for home-banking applications in offline mode, or for use as a calculator.
The secure reader, approved by the Federal Government ICT department (Fedict), is currently already being distributed among various government departments.
The eID Software
This software must be installed in order to work with the government applications (Minfin, taxonweb ...). Moreover, it must be run with each new installation of Windows or Mac OS X.
Instructions for the eID Quickinstall:
- Do NOT connect the reader with the system
- Install the software eID Quickinstall
- Connect the reader to your computer when requested by the eID Quickinstall software
- Insert the eID card and wait until the system displays the personal data of the card
- When data is shown, the reader is ok and you can safely log on the online applications of the government
* Normally the drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update